The hand is one of the most intricate structures in the human body. Care of the hand requires specialized skill, knowledge, and attention.
Focus: Your hands, wrists, forearms, and elbows are very important. If something happened to them, you would probably want the best hand surgeon in the world. Objectively, there may be no one person who can make that claim. Here are some guidelines to determine the best hand surgeon in the world for you:
- Specialization is key in this situation. It is very important that your surgeon be subspecialty board certified for hand surgery. A surgeon treating your hand should possess a Subspecialty Certificate in Surgery of the Hand.
- The surgeon you choose should also be a full member of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH).
- The surgeon should devote 100% of their practice to treating problems of the hand, wrist, and elbow. If they are spending time operating on legs, faces, breasts, abdomens etc., they are probably not "the best hand surgeon in the world."
- Having found a doctor who has outstanding qualities as a hand surgeon, it is equally important to establish that this doctor is willing to try non-operative measures first. Every good surgeon knows there is no point rushing to surgery when conservative, non-surgical approaches often work.
Location: Once you find someone who meets these qualifications, it is time to consider some other factors, such as location.
- When you have a cold or the flu, it may be perfectly reasonable to schedule an appointment with the doctor who is closest to your home. But if you require surgery of the hand, you might want to consider travelling. A plane ride might not be out of the question if getting the best possible result is your goal.
- Likewise, seeing a doctor in your network might seem like the only option available to you. But since a serious hand injury or disorder can have a permanent impact on your quality of life and future earnings, it is important to consider seeing the best hand surgeon, rather than the insurance company approved hand surgeon.
Convenience: You have taken your search seriously; the skill and knowledge of your doctor are your first priorities. Now it is time to consider your own convenience:
- Choosing a doctor in a small group at one location means you won't have to guess where your doctor is today. It also means you will be seen by your doctor when you go to an appointment, and not by another doctor, a Nurse Practitioner, a Medical Student or Physician's Assistant.
- Nobody likes to wait days or weeks to be seen and treated. This is especially true when you have injured a nerve, tendon or bone — it is very important to be seen in a timely manner.
Glenn D. Cohen, M.D. – The Best Hand Surgeon in the World?
So we've established that there is likely no one best hand surgeon in the world, but there is likely a best hand surgeon in the world for you, and it may very well be Dr. Glenn D. Cohen.
Glenn D. Cohen, M.D. is certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He is subspecialty trained and possesses a Subspecialty Certificate in Surgery of the Hand. He is a full member of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH.) He devotes 100% of his practice to treatment of the hand, wrist and elbow.
Dr. Cohen has over 20 years' experience in both non-operative and surgical care of the hand. He is an Adjunct Professor of Clinical Medicine at the University of Southern California.
Dr. Cohen has successfully treated a wide range of hand disorders, including but not limited to:
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Trigger Finger/Thumb
- De Quervain's Tendonitis
- Dupuytren's Disease
- Arthritis of the Thumb
- Tennis Elbow
- Cubital Tunnel Syndrome
- Ganglion Cyst
- Traumatic Hand Injuries (gunshot wounds, amputations)
With over 150 patient testimonials, there is no shortage of first-hand stories about his patients' experiences or insight into his commitment to them.
If you are from outside of the southern california area, please see additional information in our Out of Town Patients information page including locally recommended hotels.
Dr. Cohen is committed to quality care and excellent outcomes. In your search for the best hand surgeon in the world, please consider a consultation with Glenn D. Cohen, M.D.